Bathrooms can be a fun room to renovate.
They are no longer simply utilitarian, but can be a place to wind-down at the end of a long day as well as awaken and revitalize you at the start of your day. With so many wonderful options and ideas available to us, a bathroom can be a space that can truly be a reflective of your individuality and creativity.
Whether you desire a soothing spa-like space, a rustic charmer that reminds you of being up at the cottage or a bright and fun space for the kids, your bathroom design should bring together all that is the best of what you envision while delivering on maximum storage, functionality and aesthetics.
As a designer, I find that sometimes clients can feel overwhelmed by a bathroom renovation. More often than not the space can be rather on the small side and sometimes not very well lit. Yet, a collection of images reflecting large open, airy and uncluttered bathrooms with large walk-in showers that evoke relaxation and luxury sit in front of us. A welldesigned bathroom can tackle the challenges of your space while still achieving the look and feel that is desired, just with a few realistic modifications.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind for your next bathroom renovation:
- Set a realistic budget. I often find that people feel it is a small area and therefore will not cost a lot to renovate. On the contrary, once you start looking at all the options available to you today, whether in tile, fixtures or storage, you might be surprised at what is out there and how much it can cost.
- While box stores can provide you with much to select from, there are also many other fantastic places to shop that specialize in bathroom fixtures and will provide you with the knowledge and expertise required to ensure you are buying correctly. A good bathroom supplier will understand what you are trying to achieve and be able to deliver quality suggestions while being respectful of your budget. One of my go-to bathroom suppliers in the city is Watermarks Kitchen and Bath Boutique.
- When shopping for tile don’t be swayed into believing that because your room is small you must stay with a small-scaled tile. In fact, a simple large–scaled tile can create the illusion of a much larger space for you. Also, with so many fun tiles out there now this is a good way to add personality and charm to your design.
- Think through your storage space wisely. There are many ready-made vanities on the market today, however a custom-made vanity will be able to truly accommodate and maximize your storage needs. We have designed many clever storage solutions for our clients when renovating bathrooms, from hidden hampers to hidden steps for children to brush their teeth.
- Valuable dollars are often lost on incorrect purchases or poor scheduling. Be wise when renovating and look for assistance from professionals to not only be efficient with your designs but your dollars.
In the end be inspired by all that you see, but also be realistic about your space and your budget. A good bathroom design will be able to deliver all that your heart desires while creating for you a wonderfully luxurious and inviting room that reflects your individuality and needs.
Designer LINDA MAZUR is the Principal Designer of Linda Mazur Design Group. With over a decade of experience this sought out multi-disciplinary interior design firm is known for providing innovative interior renovations and full-scale build projects that reflect both timeless style and optimal functionality. The firm services Toronto,GTA and surrounding areas. LindaMazurDesign.com @LindaMazurGroup